What does an Industrial Engineer do?
If you are thinking study industrial engineering Surely you have doubts about what an industrial engineer does and his field of work. But first, let's start with the basics.
What is the career of the industrial engineer?
THE industrial engineering It is a branch of engineering that deals with the development, improvement and implementation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information and equipment to optimize complex processes, systems or organizations.
It is a career that integrates practices and functions from the areas of human resources, materials, information systems and finance, among others, to optimize and increase the productivity of a company or organization.
For example, if we take an industrial engineer who works in a bank, he will think about production and ask and analyze aspects such as the use of parking lots, approximate queue times and other fundamental questions.
What does an industrial engineer do?
Industrial engineers seek solutions to reduce waste in the operations of businesses and organizations. They understand how to use humans, machines, materials, information and energy as efficiently as possible to create a product or offer a service. Industrial engineers often work in teams with other professionals, technicians, and manufacturing personnel.
These professionals are responsible for optimizing personnel, equipment, materials and processes, with the aim of obtaining high quality products and services, reducing, among other things, time, costs, materials and simplifying the assembly of a part.
The industrial engineer is a key player in ensuring the optimization and efficiency of various processes within organizations, having as main responsibilities:
- Plan, evaluate and implement investment projects in pursuit of value generation for key players in the organization.
- Generate operational improvement projects through the use of people, methodologies and tools related to quality control and operational management.
- Analyze and design methods to predict, evaluate and specify outcomes, which allow for the generation of appropriate solutions.
- Systems Evaluation: Industrial engineers use design and analysis methods to specify, evaluate, and predict the results that will be obtained from a system at any given time.
- Although the work of these professionals is usually related to the analysis of process efficiency, they can be active and continue to feed knowledge in the area of services, where the quality of products is measurable and evaluable.
- Operational times and processes: This function refers to measuring and quantifying with a stopwatch how long an employee or operator can perform an activity or process. Based on the result, the engineer can then make a judgment on the efficiency and provide details on why any process is slowing down.
Professional field of an industrial engineer
The field of work of an Industrial Engineer is extremely broad and has as its professional field companies that produce goods and services in the most diverse fields of economic activity. This professional can work in companies of the mining, industrial, commercial, financial, manufacturing, construction, product, service and even logistics areas. For this reason, a large percentage of graduates from this career are in more specific areas, beyond industrial manufacturing.
Furthermore, an Industrial Engineer graduated from the VIA allows you to work in public or private organizations, being able to hold positions such as:
- Director of planning departments
- Director of logistics departments
- Director of production departments
- Director of quality departments
- Purchasing Director.
- general manager
- Innovation and technology manager.
- Project leader.
Study a career in Industrial Engineering at EIA!
Now that you know inside out what an industrial engineer works, consider studying Industrial Engineering at VIA. Youand we invite you to learn more about our programme, the subjects you can take and the skills you will develop as a graduate of the programme. Make up your mind and contact us.
If you want to know other articles similar to What does an Industrial Engineer do? you can visit the category MBA.